Monday, December 14, 2009

Nutcracker in Gotham

I'm a little late with this post, but I didn't want to skip it.

My mother and I went to NYC to see the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. Not surprisingly, it was a fantastic show. Beautiful costumes and fantastic dancing. My favorite parts were when there were large groups of ballerinas on stage, particularly the snow scene and the dance of the sugar plum fairies. Beautiful! I have to say that the party scene of the Nutcracker is always slow even at Lincoln Center. I'd appreciate a version of this tale that trimmed the party scene down substantially.

Of course, I wasn't allowed to take photos during the show, but here are a few I took before the curtain rose:

It was raining/snowing, so it was difficult to take a decent photo outside, but the one above isn't too bad.
The curtain before show time. The theater, which was recently reopened as the David Koch Theatre, had ample leg room. Very nice!

This is a shot of the ceiling, which was beautiful. The jewel-like fixtures on the overhead light was a motif throughout the theater, including on the five balconies ringing the back half.

We also had the chance to stay at the Trump Hotel at Columbus Circle. We were in a "junior suite" and it was sweet!
That's one of two floor-length robes in the second of two closets (one just isn't enough when you're in a junior suite). And on top of the dresser is a lint brush. That Donald Trump just thinks of everything!
That's me and my mom before we headed off to the show. Lookin' good!
Overall, the hotel was great. Comfy bed, great shower and the room had lots of great magazines and we got the NY Times Sunday edition for free outside our door. Take that USA Today. The one weird thing was the fact that the check-in desk was very close to the main door and the cold air came in. They should have a revolving door out front to prevent the wind from disturbing the guests. Get on it Donald!

No comments:

Post a Comment