Sunday, October 17, 2010

The bike ride

This is a little late, but oh well.

I rode in a 25-mile bike race in Ashford a few weekends ago. It was part of a fundraiser for the town's park and rec department. There were about 200 cyclists registered, biking several different routes (100 miles, 65 miles, 25 miles and 10 miles).

I had never biked more than 12 miles, so this was a bit of a leap of faith for me. But it turned out well. I managed to pedal all 25 miles with a brief break at the Buell's Orchard. It was a beautiful morning, relatively cool, and the leaves were just starting to change. The route traveled through Ashford, Eastford and Woodstock. Lucky for me, I scoped out the route the day before by car with my mom. If I hadn't have done that, I probably would have gotten lost.
Apparently I was a bit of rebel riding my mountain bike. Most everyone else had fancy road bikes and fancier day-glo outfits. I was a little out of place, but hey, I finished, didn't I?

Good times. We're lucky to live in such a beautiful corner of the world where you can ride your bike for hours and see more horses than cars!

No comments:

Post a Comment