Monday, November 30, 2009

Ode to a business reporter

I heard this story on NPR on the way home from work today about a little-known but accomplished business reporter for Bloomberg News who passed away recently.

The writer's name was Mark Pittman. I had never heard of him, but he's being described as "Bloomberg's Bull Dog." I did a Google search for his stories and came up with this result.

It's sad Mr. Pittman passed away, but it's inspiring to hear of his effort to go beyond the jargon and find the real business stories.

If you had asked me when I graduated from college if I would be a business reporter, I would have said, "No way." In fact, I didn't trust all those go-getter business majors. They all seemed like naive over-achievers. The journalists, on the other hand, were cynical over-achievers. Much cooler.

But here I am, the editor of a business publication enrolled in a part-time MBA program. The truth is business is fascinating and it makes the world go 'round (or stop, as we found out last fall). And we need good reporting to cut through all the bull sh*t PR spin.

That's it for this blog post. Short and sweet.

Today's Fit Count: Zero (But I really wasn't paying attention. I'll try harder tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment